Learning to Gybe

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
  • admin
  • Visitor
16 years 1 month ago #1179 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Learning to Gybe
After a little work we have begun to organise an Egyptian meet. This will be a 1 week long jolly sometime in June.

Negotiations are ongoing but the price will be very favourable and will include coaching and video tuition. (more details to follow)

There are 2 clubs that have been approached, club dahab and oceansource el tur.

So far the opinion is that el tur will be the better venue. It is a new centre with new kit: RRD, Ezzy and Tushingham. The Moses bay hotel has had a lot of work done and the kitchens are under new managment with early reports being very good. There is less to do in the evenings than dahab but the newly built beach bar looks very promising. There are 4 areas in el tur, a small lagoon for beginers and freestyle, a large flat bay for speed and freeride sailing, rolling swell can be found off the point with a nice jumping ramp by the reef and finally a full on wave spot a 5 min jeep ride away with full support and drinks etc. I believe el tur will be the best venue as it will be less crowded, we sail right in front of the centre and the new owners are very keen to make a good impression in their first year.

I wont talk about dahab as you all know that venue.

We are looking for numbers at the moment and your preferred choice of venue so if this is of interest to you then feel free to ad your opinions to this thread. The final choice will be made when we have full details organised and we have voted on a venue.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 years 1 month ago #1180 by stuart
Replied by stuart on topic Egyptian trip
The idea of an egypt trip sounds good, but can't do it myself. Am away in Prasoniki in June and that's my limit I'm afraid.

El tur sounds good. I know Dunnett and co are working hard on improving accomodation there, sounded like the hotel used to be a bit rough.

Suppose you've got this link.

www.oceansource.net/

Stuart

• admin
  • Visitor
16 years 1 month ago #1181 by admin
Befs and I were there a couple of years back.

The hotel was scruffy but OK. It's on a sand spit so it gets sandblasted constantly. This gives it a poor first impression when you arrive but inside is ok and the rooms are nice and clean but could do with a refit.

The food was OK but a bit dull for me though as a veggie I always find that in Egypt. I didn't suffer from dodgy belly either. The beer is very cheap in the hotel, a similar price to mazbat.

If Gregg has managed to improve the flaws it could be very good and a new hotel (annexe to the old one) is being built at the wave spot.

I think it could be a very good venue.

• admin
  • Visitor
16 years 1 month ago #1182 by admin
For all those interested the general tide of opinion it that El Tur is the venue.

For El Tur we are looking at a price of £450-£500 depending on what options we want and which airport we fly from. Most flights are on Mondays from Luton and Gatwick.

Possible dates for flying out are 16th and 23rd of June.

Can I have a show of hands for anyone interested and preference of dates.

More
16 years 1 month ago #1183 by alistair
Replied by alistair on topic Re: Learning to Gybe
I'm very interested as I indicated on the Boards forum (the clinic with Jem Hall in April isn't working out). Either date is OK for me. What has been sorted out about tuition?

Alistair

• admin
  • Visitor
16 years 1 month ago #1184 by admin
We are still working on that.

Oceansource El Tur have instructors available with full video facilities etc. Check their website for details.

When we have a good idea of numbers we can all discuss if we should use that or try to get a guru on board.

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds