Learning to Gybe

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
More
16 years 3 months ago #1135 by alistair
Learning to Gybe was created by alistair
I have been windsurfing for a ridiculously long time without learning to carve gybe, the general excuses being that it is either too windy or too marginal to try. So this year I am determined to learn and I would appreciate your advice. Having tried reading about it and watching DVDs to no avail, I think that I should go somewhere with the right conditions and get some instruction for a week. This would be in February, March or April (avoiding Easter).

So where would you recommend? Is it worth going with one of the well known instructors or just the resident instructor? Is there anyone that is particularly good at teaching someone with lots of bad habits?

Alistair

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• admin
  • Visitor
16 years 3 months ago #1136 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Learning to Gybe
Hi Alistair,

All the gurus are very good at what they do and will improve your skills no end.

There are problems though. If you do a course in the UK you risk a no wind week so one of their foreign trips could be good.

You could also go to one of the hire centres in places like Dahab. Most of the centres have excellent instructors. The instructors at the OTC in El Medano, Tenerife are also excellent but you will need to be confident waterstarting to sail there.

There is also a group on the south coast who are getting together to try and crack the carve gybe. Nick is trying to organise various clinics with Peter Hart, FC watersports and some others. I'll try and post details of when and where the meets will be on here so check back regularly.

I myself have never had any tuition so maybe others on here who have would like to add to this.

More
16 years 3 months ago #1138 by alistair
Replied by alistair on topic Re: Learning to Gybe
Thanks Phil,

I looked at OTC but was put off by their statement "Tuition is currently not available although ask a member of staff upon arrival to be informed of the current situation" and also it may not be the best time for wind there. I'm reasonably confident waterstarting unless the wind dies though ideally to learn to gybe it would be nice to be able to beach start.

How did you learn to gybe?

Alistair

• admin
  • Visitor
16 years 3 months ago #1139 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Learning to Gybe
Me? Gybe? :lol:

I'm still struggling. I can get round dry 90% of the time with about 10% planing in one direction, the other direction I don't mention. I intend to join Nick on the south coast with whatever we setup. Feel free to join us.

Geordie had some lessons in Medano last year with a guy from the German centre next door to the OTC. He said it was well worth it and just watching him sail since then you can see a big improvement. It's a great venue but the rolling swell can be quite big at times. There is also a shore dump to get through so ideally you need to be able to go out and stay out.

Dahab or El Tur are great venues for learning to gybe. I'm not sure if Gregg in El Tur has set up the coaching side yet so it might be worth a call.
The hotel is a bit run down but it has improved a lot. Not a lot to do in the evenings apart from drink and sleep. The sailing however is fantastic and I can think of no better place to learn. Flat water and none of the Dahab crowds.

Mike has done a lot of clinics. I think he has sailed with Cribby and Jem Hall so he might be able to comment on how good they are.

More
16 years 3 months ago #1140 by mike g
Replied by mike g on topic Re: Learning to Gybe
I'd thoroughly recommend both Guy and Jem for tuition. I've done three clinics with Guy and four with Jem. I have also met several people who have found Peter Hart and Simon Bornhoft very good.

I'd suggest that you just look for one who is teaching at a venue that you fancy and at the right time of year. Dahab is perfect for learning to gybe and the wind is pretty reliable too. Even when the winds are light, the gurus can teach some of the most important aspects of the gybe.

IMO you'll get far more from the established gurus than the resident coach at a typical centre.

More
16 years 3 months ago #1141 by stuart
Replied by stuart on topic Re: Learning to Gybe
Phil

I'd be keen on getting along to some of this carve group sessions, will register my interest on boards site.

Alistair

did a week with Jem Hall last year, he was very good, really good teacher. Got me sailing faster and entering gybes and committing. Big step forward for me. Also a couple of days with Guy Cribb a couple of years ago. Both these chaps make learning great fun, but don't let up on you. No excuses, speed is your friend.

Stuart

Stuart

Time to create page: 0.225 seconds