Appeal (well, it's worth a try)!

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
More
16 years 7 months ago #977 by mike g
Yes, I would have caught you. You were only leading because of width when the wind was light and it was my board speed that got me past Skyboy when the wind picked up.

No, I wouldn't have fallen off had I just lunged across the line expecting the hooter.

No, I wouldn't have missed the bottom mark had I not been so far away from the upwind mark (having expected to finish and being sent around again).

Anyway, I've still beaten you more times this year when we have been head to head. I just won't have a 3.5 to show for it.

Maybe I'll just not race again and then I can't get wound up?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 years 7 months ago #978 by hugh jarmes
You definitely need to lighten up - difficult for you I know :wink:

speaking of which 8.5 / 70kg compared to 9.5 /95kg gives you a 20% power to weight advantage so don't go whinging on about my width or volume (which can be a disadvantage aswell as an asset)

I've never been fond of the "its not fair" brigade who whinge "he only wins because" and then quote what they haven't got.

you "wouldn't have fallen off ..." - you may have done

you "wouldn't have missed the bottom mark.." - you might

you "would have caught" me - you might not have

As I said, "ifs and buts"

I only kept going because I remembered what you told me after the race when my neck went (and handed you a victory on a plate) - you said "never give up as you don't know what's going to happen".

re the "heads to head" you are obviously including my 2 retirements but not your own in the first race. I make it dead even which will make next week even more interesting - if you are going to race that is :wink:

watch the athletics on the TV and remember how good you used to be

Old Tigers, sensing the end, are at their most fierce.

• Tim
  • Visitor
16 years 7 months ago #979 by Tim
Replied by Tim on topic Next Season
I'm sorry you two are disputing like this now. For several seasons now things have become more serious. I remember a few years ago I won the first 3 or 4 (can't recall exactly) events. I could never do that now. I wouldnt' get a chance to.

It will get more serious next year I am sure, unless something changes. New boards will appear, there'll be more debate on sail sizes and body weight and so on.

The idea to have competitors acting as race officers as proposed will help make being race officer less arduous of course. And my thanks go to those who have done it and in particular Alex and Phil who have learnt the ropes this season and practiced the diplomacy that such a role demands.

Yet the racing will get more serious in '08 and I can guess who will win next year if the format remains the same. See me if you want me to give you my odds and a good price!

For me the fun has gone; the fun was being competitive and having a chance, right now I have neither!

I'd prefer a more fun format to dispell the overall head-to-headness of it all and mix things a little - I wanted to see some time handicapping 2 years ago and I am disappointed the 'racing committee' have not tried it even once. I want to see a change here please, and some more creativity, otherwise it will get more and more predictable and boring.

More
16 years 7 months ago #980 by hugh jarmes
tim

just because you aren't competitive this year doesn't mean others aren't.

you've just had a crap year!

last year it was (basically) me or Mike

and by the way, I'm not disputing it - i've said to tony mike can have it

This year Geoff and Andre have had excellent seasons. just take a look at the scalps theyv'e had. if you ask them they will tell you theyv'e had alot of fun. it is great to see even more people than last year (or the year before) racing and more people competing for places.

It is always going to be competitive on the water - what I can't stand is the whinging afterwards.

if you handicap it, it is no longer a competition and becomes the dumbing down we've seen by taking competition out of school sport - it doesn't work.

If you don't want me to race next year so that you can come 4th instead of 5th - just say so

• admin
  • Visitor
16 years 7 months ago #981 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Appeal (well, it's worth a try)!
Now I remember why I don't race :?

More
16 years 7 months ago #982 by hugh jarmes
With all due respect, Phill, I doubt you would be in Mike's unenviable position of contesting a first place or whether or not you had beaten John Skye!

P.S. We all think we know why you don't race :wink:

Time to create page: 0.288 seconds