Appeal (well, it's worth a try)!

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
More
16 years 7 months ago #970 by mike g
Is there any chance that the race officers might correct their mistake?

I doubt I'll ever be able to say I beat a pro sailor again (even if they were handicapped by sailing a slower board)!

My arms are still hurting from the effort too... :(

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 years 7 months ago #971 by alex
I think the race officers' decision is final! But you may be able to persuade the other one.
Maybe next season everyone in the fleet should take a turn at being race officer - it would be easy to draw up a rota from the expected participants and then that may stop some of the comments made after races have finished (has anyone noticed how Ron goes home on Thursday now - better that than be race officer!). The score on the day that you are race officer could just be a 0 or RO, so it shouldn't affect the overall standings, and everyone should get a turn (based on two per race). If you miss a slalom or course race, that's just down to the weather and cannot be pre-planned (forecasters can't even do that yet and they've been trying for years!), and if on holiday on your allotted week, then it would be your responsibility to swop with some-one else.
Racing is meant to be fun - and while it can be fun watching it, being rae officer is not always such fun.
Anyway, rant over - I'm in Amsterdam next week, so some-one else will have to 'be it'.!

More
16 years 7 months ago #972 by mike g
I think that taking turns is the intention next year. A rota will be drawn up at the start of the season.

Scores should just be as if you didn't take part (i.e. 25) if only for no other reason but to keep the spreadsheet working (which sorts on numerical value and adds the first five values).

Yes, the race officer's decision is final but appeals are after all intended to ask for reconsideration. In my past sport, I saw times changed in big athletics matches after appeals when the officials realised that they'd made an administrative error. The racers last night all knew when they were approaching the finish and the positions were recorded so why not just use them?

• admin
  • Visitor
16 years 7 months ago #973 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Appeal (well, it's worth a try)!

Racing is meant to be fun - and while it can be fun watching it, being race officer is not always such fun.
Anyway, rant over - I'm in Amsterdam next week, so some-one else will have to 'be it'.!

Being race officer is a pain in the harris and I'm glad I won't be there next week to do it. Ron has admitted he goes home for a reason.

Hopefully, next year the rota will work. Sometimes being race officer is easy but at other times it is a real chore. It needs 2 people on slalom races really. We could always go back to the old system where you just argue amongst yourselves at the end of the race.

Mike,

Who cares what the report says, you know you are a good sailor and you did well.

More
16 years 7 months ago #975 by hugh jarmes
"if the race officers hadn't got it wrong i would have won" :cry:

Mike

but you were in the lead!

if you hadn't screwed up the top mark while you were still racing you might have won

if you hadn't caught your fin on the bouy earlier you might have caught me (unlikely)

if i hadn't fallen in you wouldn't have caught me when you did.
(after all, I was well in the lead for the first 4 laps)

if skyeboy had been on a 9.5 (he is 82kg) and a different board we (might not) have caught him

if my neck hadn't gone on a previous race i might have lapped you then

"if if's and but's......"

its a bit of fun (isn't it)

excuse me but I don't remember anyone challenging a decision before - even when they may have had very good cause!!!!!!

perhaps you need to get some sleep (!!!!) you've been looking drained lately and your performances seem to have suffered. Have you got a new hobby?

If geoff beats you next week and comes 2nd or better you will be 3rd overall - imagine the shame :wink:

ps as Tony pointed out, by rights Skyeboy should have caned us even on that equipment - just be satisfied in the knowledge that you were quicker than him over 5 and half laps.

and hope that when you are my age you are still as fast!!!!!!

Old Tigers, sensing the end, are at their most fierce.

More
16 years 7 months ago #976 by the hoff
Mike wrote: Scores should just be as if you didn't take part (i.e. 25) if only for no other reason but to keep the spreadsheet working (which sorts on numerical value and adds the first five values).

I don't see this as any incentive to be race officer and suggest a score of 0.5 by way of recompense :)

There's not one F in Hoff - there are two!

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds