Escaping the madness

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
More
12 years 6 days ago - 12 years 6 days ago #1962 by galeforce8
Replied by galeforce8 on topic Re: Escaping the madness

graemef wrote: Did they get to the bottom of who hacked it? I did wonder if it was a revenge attack by ex staff, it would have surprised me, but it did occur to me I must admit.

They did say in one post that the "admin account" had been used, which since Adam is posting stuff as Admin suggests that someone may have got his login, or I may be reading too much into it.

boards.mpora.com/forums/showpost.php?p=894002&postcount=41

To update you...As Carl mentioned, someone got access to the admin account yesterday morning and deleted some users, threads and a few other bits and pieces which is what caused all the problems.

My understanding is that the forum was fully backed up quite recently, so nothing previous to this date will be lost permanently. Since the full back-up date, we may lose a few threads, but unsure exactly what yet.

However in light of certain issues like this, the web team are planning to bring forward our planned move to new forum software and now aim to do this in the next few days. Part of that move process will involve bringing back most of the missing posts identified above.

Thank you for your patience with this and apologies for the problem.
Last edited by adrianjones; 4th April 2012 at 09:42 AM.

Either way pretty shoddy for a commercial organisation to get hacked

And then of course it fell over with a disk failure which makes me wonder if the whole thing is running off an old PC tucked under someones desk ? Really who still loses websites/databases through disk failures ?

boards.mpora.com/forums/showpost.php?p=894083&postcount=51

Guys,
We had a disk failure last night, this site is back and its final migration should happen in the next couple of days away from own kit and physical machines. It will be moved to ec2.

The forum will be upgraded to the newest version at the same time.

@phill104 - i agree but we have a lot of historic mess and we are having to unpick it bit by bit.

Carl

Not sure it's moved yet to EC2 or that the forum software has been updated.

Still I have my windsurf mag subscription so at least that is good.

Real shame to see Boards going down the pan, still I'm banned there so I guess they don't want me either :unsure:
Last edit: 12 years 6 days ago by galeforce8.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 days ago - 12 years 6 days ago #1963 by richardvanaken
So that's another then.
galeforce8 - boards.mpora.com/forums/member.php?u=78656

No wonder it's so quiet on there.
Last edit: 12 years 6 days ago by richardvanaken.

More
12 years 4 days ago #1964 by richardvanaken
Thanks for looking out for us on that other forum, but I've forgot what I wanted to say, so it doesn't matter anymore. :laugh:

More
12 years 2 days ago #1966 by nick
Replied by nick on topic Re: Escaping the madness
Hello Peeps!

OK - thoroughly bored waiting for the muppets from Boards to sort things out, so I've moved here as well.

I'll have one grumble and then shut up and hopefully move to more positve things in other posts. I can understand that technology screws up - Christ, who doesn't get IT problems from time to time? It's the bad attitude that gets me. Phil starts a post asking if they care anymore and it takes several days for someone official to respond and then it's pretty much to tell everyone not to complain. If the guys here can spot who has been banned, surely it's not beyond the new Boards team to send a quick email saying sorry, we're trying to sort this, please bear with us etc. I've been reading boards since the early '80's, have contributed a few articles, hung around the forum, got to know loads of other readers etc - and now feel very much like I'm not wanted anymore.

By the way, did anyone else think it was odd that they asked Arf and Naomi to be 'Forum Moderators'? Nothing against them - both really nice people - but didn't it seem like a bit of a lazy cop out on Boards part? A bit like going to a restaurant and being asked to cook your own meal - oh, and wash the dishes before you leave.

Maybe someone should quietly explain to Boards that they can build the best website and puiblish the best 'Annual' (twice a year?) going, but in a shrinking market like windsurfing, if they don't look after their loyal core audience, they'll end up playing with their toys on their own.

Still, maybe this will help break me of my forum habit and get some more work done. I'm sure I'll see lots of you at various beaches and also on here - it's just a shame that it won't be on the Boards forum anymore.

More
12 years 2 days ago #1967 by Erik the Viking
Nick I share your frustrations..well not the being banned one, but just might try it for fun :evil:

I just think lazyness might be a factor, but then I guess Phillipa has nothing better do in his life than keep this place running.

Nick..I think we will always keep looking at the forum no matter what

More
12 years 30 minutes ago #1968 by phill104
Replied by phill104 on topic Re: Escaping the madness
Cheeky fecker.

Time to create page: 0.254 seconds