I'm, coming back to windsurfing, but out of touch

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
More
11 years 8 months ago #2013 by Polo28
Hi,
some advice please.
I am 43, 12 stone, (80kg) and 6' tall. Tall Slim. I windsurfed for a couple of years 12 years ago, but sold my Mistral board, 5.8 and 7 metre sail. It was a big board with a keel. I live in Torbay, south coast so won't do waves, just big expanse of speed, but would like to keep the board as small as possible and hopefully go for an intermediate board, (semi sinker?). I loved planing on the board but would no consider myself expert by any means, but not beginner either. I would hope to learn how to water start. Can anyone give me the size / volume of board and potentials Sails I should consider for my size taking these conditions into consideration. I have no idea where to start and what size I should look for, so hoped you could point me in the right direction!

Many thanks
Harry

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #2014 by NeilT
Hello Harry
Glad to see you're returning to the faith. Boards have changed quite a bit in the last few years - the volumes are similar although boards have tended to shrink in length and expanded in width. This site might be a bit quiet for replies -if so try the Boards forum. Have a look in the 'new to windsurfing' thread where you'll probably find some similar queries on board sizes, or put your query in the Equipment thread where you'll certainly get some replies and find out who's about on the water in the SW.

Boards stuff

(hope the link works)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Polo28

More
11 years 1 month ago #2085 by Poole Windsurfing
Hey there,

Yep - you will definitely notice a massive difference in the style of windsurfing equipment now a days!

For your size, weight, skills & desired type of windsurfing I would estimate something like the following:

Board: 95- - 110lt 'ish Freestyle Wave (Goya One, Fanatic Freestyle Wave, RRD FSW)
It will have the volume to keep you floating but is still going to be quick, turnable & fun when the wind picks up

Sails: 4.5m, 5.5m, 6.5m, 7.5m
More sails are always better & it all comes down to budget really. If you can only afford to get 2 sails then maybe 5.5m & 7.5m (or 5m & 6m). You have to think about what strength of wind you prefer going out in - marginal planing or flat out blasting conditions!

Hope this all helps if you are still trying to make your decisions on choice the right windsurfing equipment.

Poole Windsurfing - Lessons & Hire at Poole Harbour
The following user(s) said Thank You: Polo28

More
11 years 1 month ago #2086 by Polo28
Thank you very much indeed for that information Pool Windsurfing. Very much appreciated. I have made the notes of what I require now and have a good idea! I'll have a look at your site too!

Time to create page: 0.275 seconds