Beach wish list.

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
More
14 years 2 months ago #1587 by grawp
Beach wish list. was created by grawp
Seeing as we like this forum, lets have a good old discussion in it and forget about this miserable weather.
So:
What new beaches are you planing on sailing at this coming year and why?

I'll start with:
Gwithian; becuase I've never sailed there and figure it's my best chance of scoring some great dtl
Horton; because I've sailed there once, but was going down with a bug so didn't enjoy it. It is also one of my closest dtl venues.
Kimmeridge; sailed there once, want to do a fair few visits this summer.
Westward Ho! Because I bet it's awesome!
Branksome; because some of the photos this autumn looked pretty red hot.

Where are you dreaming of?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• admin
  • Visitor
14 years 2 months ago #1588 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Beach wish list.
Why don't we make the effort and get a group down to Gwithian or Kimmeridge? A pathetic sharks road trip so to speak.

For Gwithian we would probably have to put people on notice, first weekend forecast in month x or something like that. Everyone head down to campsite or hotel etc. Kimmeridge should be fine on a day trip for most.

More
14 years 2 months ago - 14 years 2 months ago #1589 by Erik the Viking
I do really need to spread my wings a bit more this year. Can't just keep sailing Worthing or will just end up like Basher...except taller..and younger :lol:

Should really do Hayling more. Its not as if its a huge journey there.

Would love to try Camber one day as the Camber massive always seem to have fun/are completely barking mad!!

Avon

K Bay and Gwithian..one day...for sure. Thats more of a mental thing to overcome. As much as all the pictures look amazing they do also tend to make me feel I would be out of my depth
Last edit: 14 years 2 months ago by Erik the Viking. Reason: can't spell

More
14 years 2 months ago #1590 by grawp
Replied by grawp on topic Re: Beach wish list.
I did my first trip to K-bay on my own on a wet tuesday in oct, with only one other out. Spent the whole time shaking like a leaf going "Aaargh, that's the Bench. Aaaargh those are the ledges. Aaaghrr, I'm being rinsed under the cliff".
The wind was SE and the bay was windless so I had to sail on the ledges. Really want to return on a sunny weekend day, with a sw-wsw wind so that I can sail in the bay.

As for phill's suggestion, I'd love some company when heading for anywhere new, as it always help mentally. I'm getting into surfing a bit, so I'd be up for some company with that too.

How about we make a list of who's up for a bit of adventure, swap emails/phone numbers etc and then try buddy up a bit and push ourselves this coming season.

No point doing it till May/June, as freezing water does not help bravery, but no harm in indulging in some idle planning.

More
14 years 2 months ago #1591 by grawp
Replied by grawp on topic Re: Beach wish list.
Erik the Viking wrote:

I do really need to spread my wings a bit more this year. Can't just keep sailing Worthing or will just end up like Basher...except taller..and younger :lol:

Should really do Hayling more. Its not as if its a huge journey there.

Would love to try Camber one day as the Camber massive always seem to have fun/are completely barking mad!!

Avon

K Bay and Gwithian..one day...for sure. Thats more of a mental thing to overcome. As much as all the pictures look amazing they do also tend to make me feel I would be out of my depth

Camber is a really great place. By far the windiest spot on the south coast I think. Wind is super clean too.

More
14 years 2 months ago #1592 by rod
Replied by rod on topic Re:Beach wish list.
honestly k-bay (from a WSW to NW) is a lot lot easier than sailing shoreham.

although the launch is only a slipway there is never any shorebreak and the waves are well spaced and gradually get bigger in the bay - there is also surprisingly little chop, even when the wind is cross on (W).
ok there are rocks, but the fear is dinging your board or breaking a fin (and having to walk back) it's not life threatening. just a bit annoying.

i know that no one believes me but i think it is one of the easiest places to wave sail on the south coast and great for learner wave sailors (in the bay). if you can sail shoreham in a F6 SW you are going to think it is a doddle (and if you can sail camber in a F6, then you are going to wonder where all the waves are!).

of course the bench and the ledges are a different kind of sailing, but you have to make a conscious decision to go and sail them (the bench is a mile upwind!).

last year harry did it in 2hrs 15 from brighton.

i'd be happy to show people the ropes (i did this last march with 3 k-bay forumite virgins and i've seen two of them back there this autumn).

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds