RACE OFFICER(S)

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
More
16 years 7 months ago #985 by hugh jarmes
RACE OFFICER(S) was created by hugh jarmes
I think Mike's suggestion that we all take it in turns is an excellent idea.

I seem to remember him mentioning it before and that he thought that obvious rivals should be "paired-up" so as to avoid anyone being disadvantaged.

With this in mind, I would like to volunteer to be Race Officer (along with Mike if he doesn't mind) for the first race of next season.

Obvious next choices would be Andre and Geoff, Jo and Annette etc etc.

With a predicted 19 races and around 20 fairly regular sailors this would require each "pair" to officiate twice.

I expect that we will need to be flexible with regard to holidays etc but if you know in advance when you are "on duty" then it should be no great chore and if something unexpected prevents anyone from doing the job then convenient swaps could be the order of the day. (and I'm sure there might be some willing volunteers who may "help out" on the rare occurence that one partner were not to show up)

Perhaps the added incentive of a free barbeque (or at least a beer) might sweeten the bitter pill of not being able to sail when its blowing a Force 5.

We will, of course, need to get the Guru's approval on this but I guess he would be glad of anything that stops complaints.

PS Mike, Tim is only offering odds of 3:1 on you winning next year - I'd take that as an insult. I am willing to wager good money on you at 10:1

Old Tigers, sensing the end, are at their most fierce.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• admin
  • Visitor
16 years 7 months ago #986 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: RACE OFFICER(S)

Perhaps the added incentive of a free barbeque (or at least a beer)

I think you'll find that word sadly lacking from the dictionary of our esteemed guru :wink:

p.s. It's spelt " barbecue " (I'm feeling pedantic this evening :lol: )

More
16 years 7 months ago #987 by mike g
Replied by mike g on topic Re: RACE OFFICER(S)
Here are a few additional ideas for the pot:

1) Rather than rivalries, maybe pair people up based on league positions at the end of this year. In many cases this will be the same thing but is easier to figure out.

2) Duty could last for two weeks (with the exception of the first pair, one of whom would just do one week ay the start). This will mean that there is some overlap / continuity from week to week and won't mean that both officials are learning the ropes each time. Towards the end of the season, the first officials may be required back on duty again.

3) If you can't make a week, the next person on the list takes your place and you step back in when you return.

4) Adding your name to the rota should be optional but the regulars should really be expected to volunteer (e.g. those doing > 10 weeks of racing). All those on the list should take their turns however many times are proven necessary.

5) Newcomers should not be expected to immediately add their names to the list but if they end up racing for beyond 10 weeks, they might want to consider it. ;)

We'll almost certainly be the first two on duty and quite likely, later on too.

Mike

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds