Boards forum...painful to use

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
More
12 years 5 months ago #1734 by Lostboy

jimbo wrote: I was going to ask about Ezzy or lack thereof in the test.... Figured I get a load of flannel back that translates into 'shut up newbie...'

Ezzy/Seasprite won't put their sails into Boards tests following a less than stellar review that one of their sails got many, many years ago.

The irony about that particular review was that the test team at the time contained a certain guru who, when free to make his own choices, didn't use them, but can now be found pimping them relentlessly at every opportunity.

Rod's summary of them in the 4.7 thread is pretty much bang on. They are very much an acquired taste. I used to use them and left them behind (initially for Neil Pryde NRs and then the Naish Boxer) and every version I've tried since has reinforced my view that my decision was right. However they have a very loyal following and do manage to convert some people (Rod - which surprised me!) so they obviously hit the spot for some. They are marmite sails though, in the same way that the Boxer is!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jimbo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #1735 by jimbo
FWIW- I wouldn't know a good wave sail from a bad one in the purest form, I do however find the Ezzy sails (freeride and infinity) are very easy to rig (as a relative novice) and I find the handling easier than others I have tried. Consequently I find I can actually make improvements week-in week-out which aren't 'set-up based'.

I have North Natural in Spain, and have had a couple of them here a few seasons ago - they are also nice and easy to set up, but the ethical critique raised on the Ezzy website combined with some great brand ambassador work by Graham Ezzy is enough for me to place my pound with the family business over the corporate. I've also found the resident pimp to be very, very helpful and he certainly hasn't oversold me anything which is a pet-hate of mine in other sailing interests.

Personally I disliked the Severne sails I had, they just seemed to lack power (probably set up issues, but either way, I couldn't get them to work for me); Point-7 looked pimp but were heavy and draggy in feel; my NPs seem flimsy- had a V6 and an H2, both broke on their respective first outings and finally Tushys- had a T3 which was heavy to handle in an 8.5, should have got a Lightning, and also now have a Lightning 9.4- the Lightning feels a little spongey and I would be very interested to compare it to a 9.5 Ezzy Infinity, I do like it though as it's very forgiving in gusty inland conditions.
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by jimbo.

More
12 years 5 months ago #1736 by phill104
If you find the Lightning a little spongy try the X15. I have one in 9m and it is rock solid and perfect on the lake.

I agree on your above comments re the other sails. I've tried all of them over the years. Some just take too much effort to get rigged right too.

More
12 years 5 months ago #1737 by jimbo
spongy's good for me at the moment... it gives me a bit of leniency to get things wrong, although it could be a contributory factor to the planing problems posted in the guru section. maybe something that get's up and goes quicker might be better??? The H2 is supposedly a tighter leach profile, so I'll try that (8.7m) when it comes back from the chop shop.

More
12 years 5 months ago #1739 by graemef
I think I would buy an Ezzy, but more likely I'd get Simon Dawkins to knock me up a wave sail he does have some stock patterns that are quite nice.

Er, sorry got distracted there, what's all that unreadable drivel type flashing across the screen? Something about Brogborough triumphant, what's going on? Has there been a welly throwing contest?

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #1741 by Harryo
Forum down again. What a joke. MPORA tout themselves as cutting edge sport media and they cannot even get a basic forum running. I really hope it doesn't die though.

On the sail front I've made a real hash of trying to replace my old NP 4.7 search, now sold. I own a 5.5 superfreak which I really like so bought a new 4.7 on eBay for £200. Couldn't get with it though. Seemed much smaller than a 4.7m and couldnt get the power out of it that I needed. Sold it back on eBay for around £80. I bought a brand new 2010 Gasstra Poison for £200. I have a Tush rdm 100%. Unfortunately I've never given any thought to masts before and this poison apparently rigs on a stiff top mast. On the tush I have to set the extension about about 6cm less than stated. Not ideal. I don't fancy buying an expensive mast so may have to replace this sail as well. Stupid.
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by Harryo.

Time to create page: 0.208 seconds