Now that's what I call a wipeout...

Rendering Error in layout Widget/Social: Call to a member function exists() on null. Please enable debug mode for more information.
More
14 years 4 months ago #1333 by mike g
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• admin
  • Visitor
14 years 4 months ago #1334 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re:Now that's what I call a wipeout...
Ouch, I hope you have some good tracks to show for it.

More
14 years 4 months ago #1335 by mike g
My session is posted on GPSSS where there is a bit more info:

www.gps-speedsurfing.com/?mnu=forum&forum=2&val=18236

Good:
- Got to to sail the Ray... at last. I have some idea of its potential and how it works now.
- Tried my new Tectonics F1 Falcon 28 on the Slalom V 54. Very nice.
- Tried my new JP Speed 45 properly. Also very nice.
- 5 out of the 6 gybes on my Speed 45 (53L) were dry and I also uphauled it successfully!
- I wasn't working!

Bad:
- Bust my boom, although I knew it needed replacing soon.
- Missed the best wind of the day... Ian was banging out 10s runs of 38 knots during that time (peaked over 41 knots).
- After breaking the boom for the 6.2m, I was forced to use the 5.4m and was underpowered.
- Walked bloody miles carrying kit... 6km in total!

The crash could have been much worse. It could have resulted in personal injury or damage to the board, sail, mast or fin - all of which are more important than the boom. I got off lightly with a broken boom because I was doing 30 knots when the board stopped dead in very shallow water. I actually don't know why I didn't hit the sand really hard... maybe the boom bending softened the blow!

Anyway, I now understand how the place works so I should be able to make more of it next time.

Mike

More
14 years 4 months ago #1336 by jmich
How did you bend both sides of it?! Don't throw it away, I'm sure John O has salvaged worse than that before.

More
14 years 4 months ago #1337 by mike g
Bending one side must have shortened the boom length and caused the other side to bend too!

What I didn't mention is that the photos were taken after we straightened the boom a bit so that I could sail back to shore!

It was originally bent right where my harness lines were but I had to move them whilst sailing back.

Time to create page: 0.208 seconds